Friday, February 5, 2010

What Haiti needs most


What does Haiti need most?
Food? Jobs? Safe Water? Adequate sanitation? Moral leadership? Re-forestation? More schools? 
The responsibilities of former President Bill Clinton, presently the UN Special Envoy to Haiti, now extend to the rebuilding phase:
"I want to build the capacity of the country to chart its own course, so they can trust me not to be a neocolonialist," Clinton, 53, said about the former slave colony's populace. "I'm not interested in doing that, and I'm too old. What I want them to do is be able to dream their own dreams and then make them real. That's my goal."
He noted that previous aid efforts have failed to improve life in the poorest nation in the hemisphere. 
"Too often, the aid that has flowed -- whether it was generous or stingy -- did not do anything to fundamentally increase the capacity of the country to stand on its own feet, to chart its own course, to run its own good schools, run its own good health system, run its own diverse economy." excerpt from http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/05/haiti.bill.clinton/index.html
Whether you are a Clinton fan or not, I for one appreciate his intentions for Haiti to have a chance to thrive. I wonder though what the Haitian people think about their future. I suspect they have been so misled, abandoned, abused and taken such advantage of that they need to put their faith in something more reliable than the promises of foreign diplomats or local politicians.
And although I think Clinton accurately observes the failure of previous attempts to aid Haiti, I don't think that international aid, no matter how well co-ordinated, is  the entire answer for Haiti's future.
What does Haiti need?
I think the Haitian people need to know where to place their hope.

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. 2 Corinthians 1:9-11 (New International Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment