Monday, January 25, 2010

Perfect timing ~ One pilot's story




Will White, pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) shared this story from January 22.

Here is a flight I did today.  I will try and explain it.  Sorry if this gets long. This morning MAF was to take a team of doctors to Pignon.  The night before someone called and cancelled the flight so we were not expecting to do it and did not go in early. The doctors showed up about 9am and I told them they would have to wait until after a flight that was previously scheduled.

We had arranged for a film crew to fly to the island of Lagonave.  We were dropping off food supplies and picking up a team that was inspecting the Wesleyan hospital for damage from the earthquake.

When we arrived Dan Irvine the director of the mission said he had a 9 year old girl that had BOTH feet crushed in the earthquake.  The hospital on the island had done all they could and they needed to find an orthopedic doctor in
PAP for surgery.  According to Dan her feet looked like "ground beef" and if infection set in would be fatal quickly.  I agreed to wait for her to show up at the plane.

On the way back, Dan was sitting next to me.  Knowing the huge strain on the field hospitals in PAP I was not hopeful of the girl finding an ortho unit to operate on her.  I asked Dan about it and he said he thought he had a contact that might help.
As I was flying back I started to think about the doctors that were waiting for me in PAP.  I seemed sure they said they were orthopedic surgeons.
When we arrived in PAP I taxied to my parking place and ALL of the doctors were standing right next to the plane with all their supplies.  I told Dan I thought that they were an ortho team and introduced them to each other.

In no time the team was examining the girl and making plans to take her directly to the Pignon hospital.  We removedthe girl form the plane to fuel and they were able to start an IV and examine her more.
After loading the plane I was able to fly 3 doctors, the girl and her mother to Pignon.  I asked the doctors to let me know how the surgery went and to follow up about her.
It was so exciting to see how God worked the events of the day to bring these two groups together.  I was humbled to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment