Thursday, January 21, 2010

Digging out and digging in


Thursday is garbage day here. Remembered to roll the garbage can out last night to the end of the driveway for pickup. Just heard the truck come by for the latest Uttley contribution to the local landfill. That got me to thinking....


With Haiti never long from my thoughts, I am reminded of the overwhelming clean up efforts which will be needed. Last night, we were talking at the dinner table about this and other aspects of the Haiti crisis. We were wondering what will be done with all the rubble from collapsed buildings? My mom remembered hearing that during the Tsunami recovery in 2004, they ground it up and used in the rebuilding efforts. Could it be used on dirt roads? How would the possible contamination be handled? One question leads to another.


This morning as I was reviewing incoming emails and news reports, I read a very moving and troubling letter about a family in Colorado Springs still waiting on word about their husband/father who was trapped in the rubble of Hotel Montana. They have been on a roller coaster of emotions; hearing first that the rescue efforts have shifted to recovery, now, that tapping is heard again which brings the rescue crews back. May God grant this precious family much grace to wait it out!


If you want more information on their story:


Then my thoughts shift back to the countless Haitians who will never know exactly what happened to family members who are missing.


I cannot dig out, offer shelter, a soothing shower, or hot meal. But I can dig in and trust my God who will not forsake them.


Deuteronomy 31:8 reminds me:


The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you;
he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.


I am clinging to that promise for my Haitian brothers and sisters; and also for our sister in Colorado Springs.




2 comments:

  1. Cindy, thank you so much for starting this blog. So many of my friends have remarked on David's photography that he has posted on FB, so I'm going to share your blog with them.

    A blog that you might find interesting is www.pyesinhaiti.blogspot.com. They are a young couple working in Jacmel. Danny is a nephew of Bill Stothers, husband of Priscilla Wagler Stothers, whom David knows. They are doing herculean work there in Jacmel which has been pretty much destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt! (referring to the herculean effort...)I'll check their blog out...

    ReplyDelete